By Amy C. Teeple
If you missed the Speed Marketing event on Thursday, March 24, 2011, you missed a golden opportunity and so much more!
The first Speed Marketing event was presented by the GSDBA's Marketing Affinity Group (also known as MAG). The group's facilitator, Casey Poldino, stated, "The GSDBA MAG came up with the idea for the Speed Marketing Night as a way to give back to the community we respect, live and work in. The organization has become very member-benefit based and we wanted to incorporate that ideal in our group."
So what did you miss at the Speed Marketing event? Here are the top 10 tidbits:
- You can cram a lot of marketing advice into 4 minutes.
- Steve Jelesijevic from UniVoIP won a marketing analysis and makeover, valued at over $3,000.
- If MAG member Ame Stanko paid $7 for Squirrel Underpants (as a consolation prize), you can market anything! (Squirrel Underpants won by Vicky Larsen.)
- Seth Godin (marketing guru) action figure (another consolation prize) won by GSDBA Board Member Eric Brown. (No, it wasn't fixed.)
- 21 participants received free insights into their marketing plans from 10 different marketing companies covering various topics including branding, design, web development, copywriting, video, photography, public relations, promotional products, print and web marketing, and social media.
- The first (of hopefully many) Speed Marketing event was made possible by a grant from the San Diego City Small Business Enhancement Program.
- The collective hourly rate of MAG members participating in event was estimated in the thousands of dollars.
- Sue Sneeringer enjoyed the power of the timer bell a bit too much. :-)
- In addition to marketing advice, participants were also given some motivational tips by ACTIONCoach Stacey McKibbin to ensure that they utilize this opportunity.
- Many participants indicated that the advice they received already motivated them to update their marketing materials and stated they would attend future Speed Marketing events.
Don't worry if you missed the first event. You should have another chance in the future according to Casey, "We believe it was a great success and look forward to making these a quarterly event!"
Be sure to follow the GSDBA and MAG on Facebook and keep an eye on GSDBA.org to find out about future events.